Saturday, September 7, 2013

Is Reading the Koran a Waste of Time?


Is Reading the Koran a Waste of Time?

Link to Citizen Warrior


Posted: 06 Sep 2013 01:28 PM PDT
We received the following question and thought it was worth sharing:

I know you advise all readers to commit to reading the Koran and earlier I agreed with you on this issue. But lately I have realized that no matter what I think the Koran says, the Muslim man or woman is going to interpret it in his/her own way. Even if I think it is terribly violent or it is super peaceful, what difference will that make to the thinking of the Muslim multitudes? They will still commit murders in the name of their religion.

If we — the Islamo-aware people — want to convince other non-Muslims of the horror of Islamic doctrine, then isn't it better to do it by pointing out the violent acts committed by Muslims in the name of their religious doctrines rather than waste time reading a Koran ourselves? I would welcome your viewpoint on this issue.

I replied with this:

What a great question. I have no intention of changing the way Muslims think. It would be great, but I don't see it happening. That's really a job for ex-Muslims. My goal is to get non-Muslims to know what they're dealing with. Once that happens, we will be able to do whatever needs to happen to curb the spread of orthodox Islam. Most of the people I know who are not already Islamo-aware believe that the bloodshed in the name of Islam is being done by a fringe group, similar to the KKK (who consider themselves Christian), and are not a significant threat. Most people are unaware of the scope and universality of Islamic violence and bigotry. So telling them about it might help. For some people it would be enough. But I've found most non-Muslims explain it away. But when I tell them what's in the Koran because I have read it, and when I try to convince them to prove it to themselves by reading it, I gain an authority in their minds and I reach them better.

What I believe people need to understand is that the violence and intolerance is embedded in Islam's fundamental doctrines. It is a sobering realization, but it changes the way people respond to actions motivated by Islamic doctrine. That solid information changes people. It gives them a resolve I don't think anything else does.

That's exactly what happened to Thomas Jefferson when he read the Koran.

No comments:

Post a Comment