Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Voting for 'victims'



The Phyllis Chesler Organization

Facebook  Twitter  RSS

Voting for 'victims'

by Phyllis Chesler
FOX News
September 10, 2013
Be the first of your friends to like this.
I once married a Muslim "man of color" and assumed, unthinkingly that, as an outsider himself, he might somehow identify with and make common cause with women. I found that this misguided assumption was untrue and, in my new book, "An American Bride in Kabul," I write about my unsentimental education in such matters, an education which took place both in America and in Afghanistan long ago.
I had also once assumed that all formerly colonized peoples and Third World impoverished countries were filled with naturally noble inhabitants who were instinctively spiritual and kind to each other. I quickly discovered that barbarism is indigenous to such regions, and that tribal and religious wars, the most profound misogyny, cruelty, and corruption were accepted as normal." It was only a crime to criticize such practices.
I learned long ago that belonging to a particular gender, race, class, religion, or sexual preference tells us nothing about how a particular person might think or behave.
http://www.phyllis-chesler.com/1135/voting-for-victims

To subscribe to the Phyllis Chesler mailing list, go to http://www.phyllis-chesler.com/list_subscribe.php

No comments:

Post a Comment