Sunday, August 10, 2014

Crucified by the Caliphate monsters: The only reporter inside the bloody Islamic State regime reveals their chilling brutality

- From Medyan Dairieh, filmmaker who reported for for Vice News
Given access: Medyan Dairieh, 
Given access: Medyan Dairieh, 

Like everyone else, I had read about the cruelty and killings that the Islamic State fighters indulged in. I had read of the beheadings, the horrific crucifixions and the mass executions this group practised, which has even repulsed Al Qaeda.
So, I became determined to enter this world and see it for myself. Of all the reporting that I have done in places like Libya and Palestine, this was the most frightening, most dangerous assignment I have had.

After weeks of negotiations, I managed to enter the city of Raqqa, which is the capital of the terrorist group in Syria, from where it launches daily attacks against President Assad’s troops.

It was a surreal and a chilling experience, as I saw a regime of absolute control which imposed its strict sharia laws.

This is not some disorganised bloodthirsty terrorist group or makeshift army. They are very organised. Islamic State fighters ruthlessly beheaded Assad’s soldiers and spies on the front line. Their decapitated bodies were brought back to Raqqa and displayed in the town centre.

The IS men gave me a horrific video of decapitated soldiers’ bodies, which were left lying on the pavement in the centre of Raqqa. Some of the dismembered heads were placed on spikes.

They had prisons where they jailed people who had been caught drinking alcohol, and other small offences. I filmed young children telling me that they want to join the Islamic State and kill infidels, and I filmed IS fighters in gun battles against Assad’s troops on the front line.

The troops were surrounded by IS men, with one telling me they will now receive no supplies unless they are air-dropped to them.

IS men have so many guns that they are now in a position to give them away to new recruits or as gifts to ordinary people.

They had heavy artillery that could target low-flying aircraft, and they even had Scud missiles and tanks, with which some of the IS men even did a bit of joyriding for the cameras.

While I was in Raqqa, the IS leaders told me I had the freedom to go anywhere I like, and film what I like.

‘Leaders’ is not the right word, as IS does not have a hierarchical structure.

Starting young: A teenager who appears in Medyan's film for VICE news
Starting young: A teenager who appears in Medyan's film for VICE news

All soldiers have equal status, and they are all paid the same salary of £30 per month.

I saw a society of peculiarities that you find in authoritarian regimes. Smoking was banned in the city, as was music.

So you never heard anyone playing songs in their cars, or shops or cafes. Women were allowed out, but they must cover all their body, including their faces.

Not all men are required to have beards, but all IS members must wear a beard.
The whole city was prepared for war at all times.

There were thousands of IS soldiers in the city, and they all carried guns with them at all times. They were ready to jump into action within minutes. Although the soldiers were very hospitable towards me and cared for me, they did not hide their ruthless ambition.

They want to take over the world.,(emph. Solstice)

I filmed one soldier, who said to the camera he wanted to see the flag of IS over the White House. Another told me: ‘See you in Jordan, next time.’

Award-winning journalist and filmmaker Medyan Dairieh spent 10 days inside the Islamic State for Vice News. He is the first Western journalist to be embedded inside the world's most dangerous terrorist group, documenting its inner workings.

Watch the VICE News documentary 'The Islamic State' on vicenews.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment