Friday, June 26, 2015

At least 27 tourists dead in Tunisian hotel attacks as gunmen 'shoot people on sunbeds' along beach packed with western holidaymakers

At least 27 tourists dead in Tunisian hotel attacks as gunmen 'shoot people on sunbeds' along beach packed with western holidaymakers

  • ISIS have carried out a terrorist attack at holiday destination of Sousse
  • ISIS militants exchanged gunfire with security services on tourist beach
  • Gunmen have killed at least 27 people in the attack on two hotels
  • Attack comes just hours after a man was decapitated near Lyon, in France 

Gunmen have killed at least 27 people in an attack on two hotels in the popular holiday destination of Sousse.

Militants, feared to be from ISIS, exchanged gunfire with security services on a beach packed with British holidaymakers.

The attack took place at the Al-Qantawi resort in the city of Sousse, located 140 kilometres south of the capital Tunis on the Mediterranean coast.
Scroll down for video  
This picture shows the body of a western holidaymaker lying dead on the beach in Sousse - empty sun loungers can be seen behind him after people fled the area 
This picture shows the body of a western holidaymaker lying dead on the beach in Sousse - empty sun loungers can be seen behind him after people fled the area 
This picture  shows dead bodies on the beach following the attack on the beach today
This picture shows dead bodies on the beach following the attack on the beach today
The terrorist attack happened in the popular holiday destination of Sousse in the north of Tunisia 
The terrorist attack happened in the popular holiday destination of Sousse in the north of Tunisia 
British tourist Gary Pine told Sky News said: 'We thought fire crackers were going off but you could see quite quickly what was going on.
'There was a mass exodus off the beach. My son was in the sea at the time and myself and my wife were shouting at him to get out and as he ran up he said I've just saw someone get shot.'  
Elizabeth O'Brien, an Irish woman on holiday with her two sons in the resort, described how she grabbed her children and ran for their lives when they heard gunfire erupting from one of the hotels.

'We were on the beach, my sons were in the sea and I just got out of the sea. It was about 12 o'clock and I just looked up about 500 metres from me and I saw a (hot air) balloon collapse down, then rapid firing, then I saw two of the people who were going to go up in the balloon start to run towards me - because I thought it was fireworks.'

'So, I thought "oh my God, it sounds like gunfire", so I just ran to the sea to my children and grabbed our things and as I was running towards the hotel, the waiters and the security on the beach started saying 'run, run run!' and we just ran to our room, which is like a little bungalow.

'So we are actually trapped in our room.'  

No comments:

Post a Comment