Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Latest from National Terror Alert Response Center











The Latest from National Terror
Alert Response Center


Link to Homeland Security News





















Man Arrested Before Obama Event Had Loaded Gun


Posted: 11 Aug 2009 11:30 PM PDT




portsmouth


Police said a man arrested at the scene of President Barack
Obama’s visit to the city Tuesday was found to be in possession of an
unlicensed loaded gun.
Richard Terry Young, 62, was arrested around
9:40 a.m., hours before Obama’s arrival, and charged with the misdemeanor
crimes of criminal trespass and carrying a loaded pistol without a
license.


Young was found inside Portsmouth High School, where Obama
later in the day held his town hall-style forum. Young was detained by the
Secret Service and subsequently arrested by Portsmouth Lt. Corey
MacDonald. Young was carrying a pocket knife, police said. A subsequent
search of his vehicle, parked on school property, revealed a loaded hand
gun, police said.


Police said Young is being investigated by the Secret Service
for possible federal crimes resulting from the same series of events.


Read Full Article


This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National
Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for
homeland security news and information.

Man Arrested Before Obama Event Had Loaded Gun






DNA Proves Body Not Terror Leader Noordin Top


Posted: 11 Aug 2009 11:12 PM PDT




noordin_top


Indonesian police have confirmed a man killed in a raid in
Central Java on Saturday was wanted, but he was not the notorious fugitive
Noordin Mohammad Top.
Indonesian police had hoped and then believed the
man they had surrounded and then killed after a 17-hour siege in a remote
rural house in Temanaggung was Top – the region’s most wanted
terrorist.


DNA tests have now confirmed that the man responsible for every
terrorist attack in Indonesia since the first Bali bombings has escaped
yet again.


The identity of the dead man is now confirmed to be Ibrohim,
the florist who worked at Jakarta’s Ritz Carlton and Marriott hotels.


Ibrohim left a resignation letter and disappeared the morning
of the suicide bombings on July 17.


The bomb attacks at the Ritz Carlton and the nearby JW Marriott
hotel killed nine people, including three Australians.


Police have released new security camera footage showing
Ibrohim escorting the alleged Marriott bomber around the hotel nine days
before the attack, and later bringing bomb-making material into the
hotel’s loading bay.


Read Full Article


This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National
Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for
homeland security news and information.

DNA Proves Body Not Terror Leader Noordin Top






Baitullah Mehsud Death Remains A Mystery


Posted: 11 Aug 2009 10:56 PM PDT




mehsud


After last week’s jubilation over the purported death of
Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud, it is now starting to appear as
if he survived the airstrike that killed his wife and several of his
bodyguards. Five very senior Taliban leaders have come out and said
Baitullah survived the attack and would issue a videotape. Several tribal
leaders and politicians with close ties to Baitullah and the Paksitani
Taliban have also claimed Baitullah is alive.


The reports of Baitullah’s death have been largely driven by
Pakistani intelligence, which is known to be suspect in past cases. Rehman
Malik, Pakistan’s interior minister who is the source for many of the
reports, just recently fell flat on his face when he insisted Swat Taliban
leader Mullah Fazlullah was dead. The Taliban said he was alive, and
Fazlullah later turned up on the radio.


Back to the Baitullah death story–a strange twist developed
over the weekend. In a story too good to be true, Malik claimed that two
of Baitullah’s potential successors killed each other in a gun battle
during a meeting to decide on his replacement. When both Taliban leaders
spoke to the media and denied the meeting even took place, the wheels
started falling off Malik’s assertion. But that didn’t stop Malik, who
insisted the two commanders prove that they and Baitullah are alive.


Read Full Article At The Weekly Standard


This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National
Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for
homeland security news and information.

Baitullah Mehsud Death Remains A Mystery






Bomb Plot Terror Suspect Confesses In German Court


Posted: 11 Aug 2009 10:50 PM PDT




bomb_plot_suspect


The main defendant in a trial of four Islamic militants accused
of planning major bomb attacks on U.S. targets in Germany confessed to the
charges in court on Monday.
Fritz Gelowicz, a German convert to Islam,
said his group planned attacks in Europe as early as 2006 while training
along the Pakistani-Iranian border, and chose targets in Germany as it was
the country with which they were most familiar.


Wearing faded jeans, sneakers, and a full beard, Gelowicz told
the packed court the group had aimed to strike at U.S. power abroad.


“We wanted to pick targets where there were mostly U.S.
soldiers,” said Gelowicz.


Read Full Article


This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National
Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for
homeland security news and information.

Bomb Plot Terror Suspect Confesses In German Court






Toll Taker Shot, Killed On Richmond Bridge


Posted: 11 Aug 2009 06:51 PM PDT




toll_worker_shot


One person was killed when a person opened fire at the toll
plaza of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge just before 6pm on Tuesday, a
Richmond Police sergeant said.


Sergeant Bisa French told CBS 5 police received reports of
shots fired and arrived to find a toll taker dead at the scene. Witnesses
report seeing a man in a white van opening fire as the van passed through
the toll plaza.


A California Highway Patrol sergeant said Interstate Highway
580 at Richmond Parkway was closed as of about 6:20 p.m., preventing
westbound access to the bridge.


Sergeant Trent Cross also said others were injured during the
shooting at the toll plaza.


Source


This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National
Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for
homeland security news and information.

Toll Taker Shot, Killed On Richmond Bridge






Terror Ethics – Taliban Chief Writes Handbook


Posted: 11 Aug 2009 12:08 PM PDT




taliban_guide


As elections draw near in Afghanistan, it appears the Taliban
are launching a hearts-and-minds campaign of their own.


In recent weeks, Mullah Mohammad Omar, commander of Taliban
forces, has released a code-of-ethics handbook that, among other
directives, warns his followers not to conscript children or target
innocent people. It also says bombs should be used to kill only government
officials and coalition soldiers.


In the 62-bullet-point handbook, homicide bombers get specific
instructions. They are to “be fully-educated in their mission”; they are
to target “high ranking people”; and they are to “try your best to avoid
killing local people.”


Taliban followers are further prohibited from smoking
cigarettes, using captured vehicles for their personal use, cutting noses,
lips or ears off detainees, and drafting “youngsters that have no beard.”
(As soon as a boy can grow a beard, he is considered an adult in Afghan
culture.)


Read Article


This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National
Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for
homeland security news and information.

Terror
Ethics – Taliban Chief Writes Handbook






6 Arrested In Kuwaiti Terror Plot Against U.S. Military Base


Posted: 11 Aug 2009 10:13 AM PDT




Camp_Arifjan


Kuwaiti authorities have arrested six locals believed to be
members of the terror group al-Qaeda, after stopping an alleged plot to
bomb a United States military base. According to state-run media, the men
were planning to attack ” – a U.S. Army-run facility that also hosts
troops from Australia, Poland, Romania and the United Kingdom.


Camp Arifjan is located south of Kuwait City and has Americans
servicemembers from the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and
National Guard. The base serves as an important storage and transition
point for the ongoing conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as a
forward base for U.S. Central Command.


The base has its own airfield and even fast food restaurants
like Pizza Hut and Burger King to bring a taste of home to American
servicemembers stationed overseas.


Now, Kuwaiti authorities say the $200 million military base was
on a list of proposed targets including local government offices. The
attacks would have coincided with the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.


The U.S. military was not involved in foiling the plot, which
is still being detailed by the Kuwaiti government.


Source


This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National
Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for
homeland security news and information.

6 Arrested In Kuwaiti Terror Plot Against U.S. Military Base












No comments:

Post a Comment