Thursday, May 24, 2018

USA: The Iron Ladies


USA: The Iron Ladies

by Ahmed Charai  •  May 24, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Facebook  Twitter  Addthis  Send  Print
  • "I know that at home you call me 'the old lady.' Well, I'm a grandmother, and you're a grandfather. And so from one grandparent to another, let me express my hope that our grandchildren will know a future of peace ..." — Former Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir to former Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.
  • Yesterday, two women were named at the head of what is seen as the center of power in the US, the Intelligence services: Gina Haspel and Kirstjen Nielsen.
  • It is this permanence of public service that, in the USA, assures that a president cannot be omnipotent; it is a true sign of democracy.
Central Intelligence Agency Director Gina Haspel (left) and Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen. (Images source: Nielsen - World Economic Forum / Haspel - CIA)
Some Arab leaders stood out, in part, by their sexist and disrespectful language against former Secretaries of State, Madeleine Albright and Condoleezza Rice. Egyptian President Anwar Sadat referred to Golda Meir as the Old Lady. There was a famous discussion about it when Sadat came to the Knesset, and in front of the camera she said to him: "I know that at home you call me 'the old lady.' Well, I'm a grandmother, and you're a grandfather. And so from one grandparent to another, let me express my hope that our grandchildren will know a future of peace..."
The Libyan dictator, Muammar Gaddafi, had what some referred to as a slightly eerie obsession with Condoleezza Rice, describing her as his "African Princess."
Yesterday, two women were named at the head of what is seen as the center of power in the US, the Intelligence services: Gina Haspel and Kirstjen Nielsen.
Facebook
Twitter
RSS

Donate



No comments:

Post a Comment